Clone Clubbers have reason to be upset today, Tatiana Maslany has not received the recognition we feel she deserves for all the hard work she does playing 9 clones (so far) on the hit TV show Orphan Black. To fans of the show this should come as a big surprise as we are blown away each week by the creation of a world in which one literally sees 9 different characters with 9 different personalities and not the same person in 9 different outfits. Tatiana makes you believe, cheer for, and become emotionally attached to several individual characters all played by the same person which truly is a credit to her acting ability.
Tatiana Maslany lost out to some major powerhouse actresses in the Drama Series category including Claire Danes and Julianna Margulies. The full listing of the nominations for lead actress in a Drama Series category is below:
Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series
Michelle Dockery, “Downton Abbey” (PBS)
Claire Danes, “Homeland” (Showtime)
Robin Wright, “House of Cards” (Netflix)
Kerry Washington, “Scandal” (ABC)
Julianna Margulies, “The Good Wife” (CBS)
Lizzy Caplan, “Masters of Sex” (Showtime)
It was predicted that Tatiana would receive the nomination and the absence of the nomination is quite a shock, especially after the BBC’s announcement to renew Orphan Black for a third season. This seemed to be a strategic PR move to generate buzz for Tatiana prior to the Emmy nominations, although this is pure speculation on my part. Though fans of Orphan Black may be a little miffed at the situation we still all see her as “One of A Kind” in our book. The Emmy Awards will air on NBC on August 25th. For more information on the renewal of Orphan Black please see the official press release below:
Beverly Hills, CA – July 9, 2014 – BBC AMERICA’s General Manager, Perry Simon, made the following announcements today during the channel’s presentation for the Television Critics Association in Beverly Hills.
RETURNING SERIES ANNOUNCED:
Orphan Black – Season Three Premieres 2015
BBC AMERICA has renewed award-winning original series Orphan Black for a third season. The drama starring Tatiana Maslany has been re-commissioned for a 10-episode order from Temple Street Productions.Orphan Black became the first ever ad-supported drama series to double its ratings from season one to season two in A25-54 and 18-49 in Live+7.* The season two finale earned series highs in Live+7 among total viewers (1.376 million).
Audience and social media highlights:
- The Live+3 lift from Live+SD for the Orphan Black season two premiere still ranks #1 among all TV drama season premieres thus far in the 2013/14 TV season.
- Orphan Black season two is BBC AMERICA’s second best series ever in A25-54 in Live+3, C3, and Live+7, just behind Doctor Who season seven.
- Orphan Black season two episodes 6-9 reached #1 and episodes1-5 reached #2 on iTunes overall TV episodes chart within 24 hours of their premieres.
- Orphan Black was the #1 television show on Twitter and Tumblr for the day of premiere and was the #1 ad-supported cable drama on Twitter for the week.
- BBC AMERICA is the first network to live-tweet a TV show with animated GIFs. @OrphanBlack shared animated GIFs timed to the season finale.
- #3 on Twitter among ad-supported cable dramas on average during its run and seven times the activity from season one to season two.
- The Orphan Black Tumblr has had over 750,000 notes from almost 140K fans in season two and there were 11.3 million notes on the Orphan Black topic in the new season.
The innovative series, co-created by Graeme Manson and John Fawcett, earned a Peabody Award this year and lead actress Tatiana Maslany has received two back-to-back Critics’ Choice Awards for Best Actress, a TCA Award for Individual Achievement, a Young Hollywood Award, a Gracie Award and Golden Globe® and People’s Choice nominations.
The cast includes Tatiana Maslany, Jordan Gavaris, Dylan Bruce, Maria Doyle Kennedy, Skyler Wexler, Kevin Hanchard, Evelyne Brochu, Kristian Bruun, Michael Mando and Matt Frewer. The second season also included actors Michiel Huisman, Ari Millen, Peter Outerbridge, Patrick J. Adams and Michelle Forbes.
Orphan Black is BBC AMERICA’s second original drama commission. The series is produced by Temple Street Productions in association with BBC AMERICA and SPACE. Executive producers are Ivan Schneeberg and David Fortier on behalf of Temple Street Productions, Graeme Manson and John Fawcett. Orphan Black is distributed by BBC Worldwide.